Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Simple Gluten-Free Eating

I eat gluten free because Lyme Disease left me with a gluten intolerance. My doctor explained the connection to me but since I'm hazy on some of the details I won't write it down here in the interest of not spreading (potentially) false information. What I do know is that when I eat foods with gluten in them I get tired to the point of dysfunction and all my joints ache terribly. It's no fun and so I just avoid foods containing wheat and other "bad" ingredients. There are many people affected by Lyme Disease who are the same way.

One struggle I face is that I'm by no means a "foodie". I can cook but I don't enjoy it to the point that it's a hobby- it's a means to sustenance and that's it. It seems like many of the gluten free resources are by people who have a real emotional connection to their food and that's just not me. At the same time I'm not willing to eat junk food and certainly not willing to feed it to my daughter and so we end up eating very simple meals. Generally simple food is better anyway and so it works out. On a typical day we'll have gluten free oatmeal with fruit/yogurt in the morning, a meat and vegetables for lunch or dinner with fruit and cheese as snacks most of the time (as organic as possible.) I'm sharing a garden with a friend and we're working on getting it growing now. When the garden is producing gluten free eating is a no brainer; so that's my advice to non-foodie gluten-free-ers: eat simply and grow a garden.

Sometimes treats are nice though... One thing I did used to enjoy was baking and while it is a little more complicated now it's not impossible. Here's a brownie recipe that I absolutely adore. I'm willing to guarantee (though I don't know what to offer if someone disagrees) that these are the best brownies you'll ever eat.

Chocolate Brownies from “Gluten Free Cooking” by Ruby M. Brown

5 oz dark chocolate
2/3 c butter
2 medium eggs
6 oz fine white sugar
3 ½ oz gluten free all purpose flour
3 ½ walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350
Prepare 8 inch square cake pan by spraying with cooking spray. Line with baking paper.
Place chocolate and butter into a small heatproof bowl. Stir over hot water, until melted.
Place eggs and sugar into a med sized bowl. Beat until slightly thickened. Stir in melted chocolate mixture.
Stir in flour and walnuts
Pour mixture into prepared pan
Place into a moderate oven and bake for approximately 35 minutes or until set in center
When cooked, remove from oven and leave to cool in the pan for 5-10 mins
Carefully remove from pan and turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
When cold cut into squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment